Folks --

I believe that the distances predicted from the tree are called "patristic
distance".  They are a quite old concept.  I don't have the literature
accessible right now but believe they were first described by JS Farris or by
Jim Rohlf.  Searching on Google using that phrase yields more tools.

Cophenetic correlation is the correlation coefficient (the ordinary Pearson
correlation) between the observed distances and the patristic distances.

Farris pointed out in the early 1970s that minimizing it chooses the same tree
as minimizing the unweighted least squares fit of the distances.

Joe
---
Joe Felsenstein, j...@gs.washington.edu
Department of Genome Sciences and Department of Biology
University of Washington
Box 355065
Seattle WA 98195-5065