Hi Alberto,

OK, I think the bigger and more general issue is how to "correct" for
correlations with body size.  this is an issue in many circumstances, both
biologically and statistically, aside from any questions about how best to test
for or quantify phylogenetic signal.  I think that if you get it right from the
biological/statistical perspective then you will also have the answer regarding
what to do for phylogenetic signal.

When you compute a ratio (divide by a measure of body size) in hopes of
"removing" the effects of body size you are implicitly assuming that the trait
varies directly with the measure of body size.  For example, computing tail
length/body length for snakes might be a good way to "remove" the effects of
body size if snakes of all sizes, on average, have tails of the same relative
length.

However, many traits do not vary directly with any measure of body size.  For
example, resting metabolic rate generally does not vary directly with body
mass.  Rather, it scales on body mass (log-log plot) with a slope of about
0.6-0.8.  Hence, if you compute the ratio metabolic rate/body mass it will show
a negative relation with body mass, and so you have not "removed" the
correlation with body mass.  In such a case, it is generally better to do the
log-log regression and compute residuals.  Or, you can do what I described
previously (see Blomberg et al., 2003, pages 720-721).

In some cases, you might have strong a priori knowledge or particular
biological needs that would lead you to trust computing a ratio for your
particular purposes.  For example, one might compute the ratio of forelimb
length divided by hindlimb length of lizards for some purposes.  In general,
however, the regression approach is probably safest if you want to then analyze
a trait that is no longer correlated with body size.

Cheers,
Ted