Hello r-sig-phylo,

I am using the haploNet command of the excellent pegas package to construct an mtDNA haplotype network with 79 nodes. When I generate the network I am able to identify the limits of parsimony from the accompanying table. However, I don't quite understand why this network contains no loops (79 nodes 78 edges). When I make the network in TCS the parsimony limits are the same (7 steps), but there are many loops in the network. The documentation refers to the Templeton et al. 1992 paper and, short of identifying recombination to break loops, I couldn't find hard and fast rules for breaking loops (I may have missed them). I know that some post hoc rule exist, such as favoring links to high frequency and geographically close haplotypes, but I was wondering how haploNet deals with these loops. Does it present 1 of the maximum parsimony trees?

Thanks in advance,
Patrick