I agree with the suggestions so far. I just wanted to point out a few more
alternatives:

You could use the geiger package to estimate the best scaling for the
tworatetree transformation to do this (should be equivalent to the earlier
solutions, though it would require running optimization).

You could also use the OUwie package with a tree that has been given simmap
mappings using phytools. The advantage of this is that you could evaluate
Brownian models but you could also look at various Ornstein-Uhlenbeck
models (though note that while there is information about different
Brownian rates before and after a time slice, info about different alphas
(strength of pull parameter) and thetas (the attractor, aka "optimal
value") is rapidly (but not immediately) lost under an OU process).

For completeness, especially for citations, note that O'Meara et al. (2006)
and Thomas et al. (2006) independently arrived at essentially the same
method, so it is worth reading both papers.

Best,
Brian

Brian O'Meara
Assistant Professor
Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology
U. of Tennessee, Knoxville
http://www.brianomeara.info

Students wanted: Applications due Dec. 15, annually
Postdoc collaborators wanted: Check NIMBioS' website
Calendar: http://www.brianomeara.info/calendars/omeara