Nicolas,
Not certain how you are time-scaling your tree, but I often get warnings of
singularity from various comparative analysis functions due to the presence
of very short terminal branches. I have found that such warnings of
singularity when dealing with paleo-trees can often be avoided by adding a
very small amount to all the terminal branch lengths, say 0.001. This is
very simple to do with a few lines of code; alternatively, the function
addTermBranchLength() in the library paleotree does this automatically if a
tree is passed to it.

Also, I would advice you to consider multiple methods for time-scaling your
tree of fossil taxa and compare results across those trees, if you are not
doing so already. In practice, I find one can sometimes give very different
results for some comparative analyses with different time-scaling methods
on the same paleontological dataset.
-Dave

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM, Nicolas Campione <
nicolas.campi...@mail.utoronto.ca> wrote:

> Dear R Phylo List,
>
> I'm trying to test an Early Burst model of evolution against a tree using
> the 'fitContinuous' function in 'geiger'. However, I get the following
> error message, and am unsure as to what I can do to fix this:
>
> > fitContinuous(tree,trait,model="EB")
>
> Fitting  EB model:
> Error in solve.default(phyvcv) :
>   Lapack routine dgesv: system is exactly singular: U[4,4] = 0
>
> My tree is based on fossil taxa and my branch lengths are calculated using
> time (in millions of years). I seem to be able to test every other model,
> only EB is giving me troubles. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with
> the branch lengths, cause if I used other measures, such as all=1 or
> grafen, I don't get an error.
>
> Has anybody had this issue before?

> Cheers,
>
> -Nic-