Hi Jeremy,
Emmanuel and I had a off-list conversation after that email, so there was
follow-up, we just never told the list about it!

To my knowledge, the issue I was having where not all clades shared were
being detected with prop.clades was unique to 3.0-1. For example, under my
3.0-6 install of ape, the code from my old email actually does show
multiple shared clades with prop.clades.

Here it is again with ape 3.0-6:

library(ape)
library(paleotree)
set.seed(3)
tree1<-rtree(30)
tree2<-degradeTree(tree1,0.5)
layout(matrix(1:2,,2));plot(tree1);plot(tree2)

and....

> prop.clades(tree1,tree2)
 [1] 1 2 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 0

Now, for the sake of posterity, it turns out the '2' which threw me in that
original email was a result of me not telling prop.clades that my trees
were rooted (and Emmanuel has updated the man page so this is crystal
clear):

> prop.clades(tree1,tree2,rooted=TRUE)
 [1] 1 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0

Jeremy, could you make some example data where prop.clades underestimates
shared clades? Also, have you also tried applying reorder.phylo or
collapse.singles to your trees before trying prop.clades?

-Dave

On Thu, Nov 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM, Jeremy Yoder <jbyo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> I'm working on some analyses that require comparison of tree structures,
> and I've bumped into the problem David Bapst posted about back in March:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/r-sig-phylo@r-project.org/msg01840.html -
> briefly, prop.clades() is failing to count many clades that are in common.
> There doesn't seem to be any followup to that post; has anyone made
> progress figuring it out?
>
> I'm currently using ape 3.0-6 and R 2.15.1 on a MacBook running Mountain
> Lion.
>
> thanks,
> Jeremy
>
> ----