I’d love to use a Racket shell and script Unix in a ‘natural’ way.

You may wish to read up on scsh. While it was way ahead of its
time, Olin Shivers made the syntax as natural as possible so it
would be quickly useful to people used to basic shell scripting
syntax. After all, this syntax has a 40+ history and shouldn’t be
thrown out.

[1] https://scsh.net