On Tuesday, January 31, 2017 at 11:25:31 AM UTC-8, Neil Van Dyke wrote:
> For the benefit of the tightwad people, packages could optionally
> include metadata about any docs and tests that can be stripped --
> anything nonessential to "run-only" the package.  This metadata could be
> used by either the installation tools or by a package file transformer
> tool that people can run themselves.  (And, eventually, these tests and
> documentation might normally be linguistic constructs anyway, embedded
> within the code, not something in their own files that can be maintained
> in a separate package from the implementation.)  The package catalog
> still only lists the one canonical package, though.

This currently exists. All dependencies used in test and doc submodules and
scribblings/ modules are build dependencies (defined in `build-deps` in
info.rkt) and when installing a pre-built package, you can optionally omit
build dependencies by installing the package with the `--binary` and
`--binary-lib` flags. The package build server also creates a separate "built
packages" catalog that hosts pre-built versions of packages. Unfortunately,
pre-built packages are specific to a Racket version so this catalog is only
usable if you're using the latest Racket version.

If the package build server and catalog hosted built packages for multiple
Racket versions, I think we could go a long ways towards removing the need to
split packages completely.