Will you try this first so we can debug the protocol level stuff?

racket -l net/git-checkout -- --https -u mbutterick -p password
github.com /mbutterick/repo.git test

You may need to fiddle with the second to last argument.

--
-=[     Jay McCarthy               http://jeapostrophe.github.io    ]=-
-=[ Associate Professor        PLT @ CS @ UMass Lowell     ]=-