FWIW for this command:

raco pkg install https://github.com/mbutterick/app.git

The exception is `exn:fail:user` ("raco pkg install: Git checkout initial
protocol failed;
 the given URL might not refer to a Git repository")

And for this command:

raco pkg install http://github.com/mbutterick/app.git

The exception is `exn:fail:network` ("ssl-connect: connect failed
(error:140770FC:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:unknown protocol")

Changing the `exn:fail:git?` to just `exn:fail?` repairs the https case:

raco pkg install https://github.com/mbutterick/app.git

But not the http one:

raco pkg install http://github.com/mbutterick/app.git

(Though AFAIK that error is valid: there's no vanilla http access available to
GH)

So maybe the problem is that `raco pkg install` is raising the wrong kind of
error when "Git checkout initial protocol fails" (`exn:fail:user` instead of
`exn:fail:git`)?