For a "home directory dotfile" kind of preferences file that's arbitrary Racket code, I'd do `dynamic-require` instead of `require`.

If you want to use `require` instead, maybe the application is a framework, and the user-specific `.rkt` file is the program that is run and is what `require`s the framework.

Recent discussion thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/racket-users/6hn9J-r0Nek

If you don't want arbitrary code in your dotfile, then maybe use the Racket reader with some of the features disabled.  (When I've done this, I went through the current documentation for the reader, and wrote a procedure that does the read while explicitly disabling each reader feature that was problematic.)  But I prefer the programmer-centric arbitrary-code way for many purposes now, like I say in that earlier discussion thread.