At Mon, 12 Feb 2018 16:38:32 +0300, Dmitry Pavlov wrote:
> > I'm not clear on why you're using `require-input-port` here instead of
> > `dyanmic-require` with <myprogram>'s path.
>
> Originally, I needed it to prepend "#lang <mylang>" to the source because I
> did not have it in the file.
> That requirement is not so strict now and I will be able to lift it if it is
> critical for performance.
>
> [...]
>
> >   Does the port `p` contain
> > the source text for <myprogram>, or does it contain the bytecode from
> > the ".zo" file created by `raco make <myprogram>?
> In this dedicated test, just the source text of <myprogram> and nothing else.

I think this is the main cause of the performance difference, but just
to make sure, does

  raco make <myprogram>; rm <myprogram.zo>; time racket <myprogram>

take ~4 seconds, where <myprogram.zo> is in a "compiled" dierctory
relative to <myprogram>?

If so, then the solution could be to use `require-input-port` on a port
that has bytecode for <myprogram>, instead of the program source.

> I just tried to check what I get with (dynamic-require <myprogram> #f)
> instead
> of require-input-port.
> In turns out that I get a "hash-ref: no value found for key" error
> originating
> from <mylang> implementation.
> It indicates that something went not as is was supposed to go in the
> dependent
> modules loading.
> There is a certain module (I will call it "functions") that, when loaded,
> fills up the hash table in another module ("functions-table"), and this hash
> table is being used by the language implementation. Of course, the language
> implementation does (require) "functions-table" and then "functions".
> Something went wrong with that scheme when I used the (dynamic-require
> <myprogram> #f) approach.
> It never went that way when I used (require-input-port) or "racket
> <myprogram>".

I'm stumped here.

I can imagine a problem where the "language implementation" is in the
reader, in which case it wouldn't get run when loading from bytecode,
but that doesn't explain why `racket <myprogram>` works --- unless the
initialization is also triggered by a `main` or `configure-runtime`
submodule, which would be run by `racket <myprogram>`.