I think that the official story of the current package system is that you can't make a backward-incompatible change to a package, and if you want to, then you should make a new package with a new name. (Which I think is an annoying discouragement to third-party developers who are altruistically sharing pieces of their systems as open source.)  This is half the reason that I prefer PLaneT's version system to that of the new system, for typical scenarios of non-centralized development.  The other half of the reason is that PLaneT's version system permits multiple versions of a package to be used at the same time.

For your immediate practical problem, I don't think anyone would blame you if you make a backward-incompatible change to this package you suspect no one is yet using, and post a heads-up to `racket-users` about it.