> On May 13, 2018, at 4:36 PM, Stephen Foster <step...@thoughtstem.com> wrote:
>
> Hi!
>
> I was about to start building a tool for statically analyzing student code.
> But I first want to ask if there's related work out there.
>
> I'm interested in relatively simple stuff -- e.g. How many functions did the
> student write?  How many expressions?  What's the average nesting depth of
> expressions?  Etc.  Basically, I want to start quantifying things about
> students' coding styles -- both to identify potential problems and also to
> help students set goals (e.g. "Today, you wrote 2 functions.  Tomorrow, I
> want you to try to write 3!").
>
> Before I start writing this myself, is there anything that I should know
> about?  Has someone already done exactly this?  Or is there some library for
> static analysis or code metrics that I should be building upon?  I searched a
> bit and couldn't find a lot.  Maybe I'm using the wrong keywords.

Non answer but somewhat related:

I have written (Racket) scripts in the past when we used svn repos to submit
code The basic answer is that 90% of the students wrote 90% of their code in
the last 10% of the time available. Then they would say during public code
reviews that they ran out of time and therefore couldn’t follow the (HtDP)
design process. At which point I reply with “no you ran out of time, because
you didn’t follow the design process.”