Hi Stephen,

I'd look at work by Andy Ko and his students, the PLT group has some work
in the broad sphere of this space (not quite gamification, I don't think,
but definitely work around how novices approach programming), the ACM ICER
conference, and a smattering of things that appear in ACM SIGCSE. (Both
ICER and SIGCSE assume ACM digital library access, although you can often
find copies of papers floating around.) There's also the ACM journal TOCE,
and some things in CSE, off the top of my head. All of those spaces should
have publications you can look at around the analysis of student code,
gamification, and a number of related spaces.

Stephen Edwards did a pretty comprehensive analysis of student work in Java
submitted via Web-CAT back in... '09? As Matthias said, it shows (amongst
other things) that students start their homework at the last minute.
There's current work to look at ways to shape behavior, both in terms of
providing positive reinforcement as well as attempting to game students to
begin sooner, but it's early days on that work (as far as I know).

If you continue to not find things, give a shout, and I can try and help
you find starting points for chasing literature.

Cheers,
Matt