Hi,

I am not sure this is an issue with places or what it could be but my
devops-fu is poor and I am not even sure how to debug something like
this so maybe someone with more knowledge than me on this might chime in
to hint on a possible debug method.

I was running some benchmarks and noticed something odd for the first
time (although it doesn't mean it was ok before, just that this is the
first time I am actually analysing this issue).

My program (the master) will create N places (the workers) and each
place will start by issuing a rosette call which will trigger a call to
the z3 smt solver. So, N instances of Z3 will run and after it is done
it will run pure racket code that implements a graph search algorithm.
This N worker places are actually in a sync call waiting for messages
from the master and the work is being done by a thread on the worker
place. The master is either waiting for the timeout to arrive or for a
solution to be sent from a worker.

The interesting thing is that when the Z3 instances are running I get
all my 16 CPUs (on a dedicated machine) working at 100%. When the racket
code is running the search, they are all holding off at around 60%-80%
with a huge portion of it in the kernel (red bars in htop).

Since the Z3 calls come before the threads inside the places are started
and we get to the sync call, is it possible something bad is happening
in the sync call that uses the kernel so much? Take a look at htop
during Z3 and during the search - screenshots attached.

Are there any suggestions on what the problem might be or how I could
start to understand why the kernel is so active?

Kind regards,

--
Paulo Matos