(Just my two cents, because in my scanning of this thread so far, I don’t
*think* I have seen this…)

Hmm; there are still languages where function and procedure are two
syntactically-different things (and subroutine is a useful “overall" term there
so you don’t have to always say “procedure or function”). For example, in
PL/SQL, a function is a subroutine that returns a value, and a procedure is a
subroutine that does not return a value, and their header syntaxes are distinct
accordingly.
(And I have wondered whether PL/SQL “inherited” that distinction from Ada, but
I’ve never been sure about that.)

(Of course, PL/SQL actually has three syntactically-distinct kinds of
subroutines, as it also has triggers, which are not explicitly called at all,
but get invoked before or after a triggering action, and have their own
distinct header syntax accordingly… 8 - ) )

So, since the terms aren’t really synonyms, I would hope that Racket
documentation would, over time, converge on using them in an agreed-upon way
that goes with the history of those terms. (That is, decide in the community
about how terms should work with regard to side-effects, and go from there.
But, putting on my curmudgeon hat, by gum, functions return something and
procedures don’t! 8 - ) )

— Sharon Tuttle

--
Sharon M. Tuttle, Professor