On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 3:55 PM David Storrs <david.sto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 12, 2019 at 4:46 PM <jackhfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Thank you for the explanation.  Can I ask why the heck it works this
> >> way?  This seems to be explicitly designed for maximal surprise and
> >> minimal usefulness.
> >

> > It works that way so that, by default, modules can't inspect, modify, or
> > otherwise muck around with structs defined by other modules. Opaque structs
> > (that is, structs that aren't transparent and aren't prefab) aren't really
> > meant to be used like "plain old data objects" with fields and accessors,
> > they're more like building blocks for abstract data types. A module that
> > defines an opaque struct type is expected to be responsible for exporting
> > to other modules all the functions that are necessary for using that type.
> > Anything not explicitly exported by the module is not allowed, even through
> > reflective operations like struct-info. The exception to this rule is when
> > some entity above the modules is controlling them all, such as a debugger,
> > an IDE, or a server running client-supplied code. In these cases, the
> > controlling code has the option to make a child inspector and run all the
> > modules under that child inspector, giving the controlling code access to
> > all struct types through the parent inspector. This kind of setup can be
> > nested arbitrarily deep.
>
> I see.  That makes sense.  I think it would be worth expanding the
> documentation on that; I'm happy to provide a suggestion later
> tonight, but I will need to do it through email instead of via pull
> request.  I have long since given up on being able to find anything in
> the Racket github in order to provide patches.  It's simply too
> unintuitive and time-intensive to find the relevant section in
> multiple repositories where the documentation is in randomly-named
> fragments scattered across multiple directories instead of being
> individual files with guessable names.
>

> > This is nice for defining abstract types, but it can be pretty inconvenient
> > for defining plain old aggregated data types that just have a bundle of
> > fields. When defining those types as structs, consider using the
> > #:transparent option. This means "use no inspector at all" (roughly) and
> > lets `struct-info` Just Work (TM) without any inspector wrangling. The
> > downside is that other modules may be able to break your type's invariants
> > and possibly circumvent your contracts.
>
> That's what I expected, but it doesn't seem to work:
>
> > (struct person (name age) #:transparent)
> > (struct-info person)
> #f
> #t
>
> What am I missing?

It takes an instance of person.

(struct-info (person "Me" 3.14))

FWIW if you already have the struct type descriptor (which is what
struct-info returns), you can directly call struct-type-info.

(struct-type-info
 (let-values ([(desc skip?) (struct-info (person "Me" 3.14))])
   desc))

;; struct:person is introduced by the (struct person ...) form
(struct-type-info struct:person)