Hmm... for some reason, I thought there were some "loopholes" where this
wouldn't work, but I just modified an HTML template that is included by
another template that is rendered by a function in a file included by my
main app, and it worked as expected.

However, I did lose the -j 8 parallel aspect. I used --vv and it only
reported one process. For my main use case of changing a few files and
needing to compile them, it works great though. I'd only need the -j 8
benefit if compiling many more files.