[forked from "The case, and a proposal, for elegant syntax in #lang racket2"]

> On 07 15 19, at 10:55 AM, Matthias Felleisen <matth...@felleisen.org> wrote:
>
> the word “diversity” is inherently political. It is designed as a wedge, a
> tool to separate people into groups and then from each other. It is used as a
> kudgel by one side of the political spectrum to relentlessly hit the other
> side. It was bad enough to have been told that there were too many
> “cis-gendered white males” at RacketCon.

For those who weren't there: the comment about "cis-gendered white males" [1]
was made from the stage by RacketCon 2019 speaker Bradley Kuhn, president of
the Software Freedom Conservancy, which now oversees Racket. Bradley was
invited to speak about "Conservancy and Racket: What We Can Do Together".

I enjoyed Bradley's talk. But I'm now unclear about the policy relationship
between Conservancy & Racket.

IIUC, as a Conservancy project, Conservancy's policies are now necessarily
Racket's policies, even if that wasn't the case before. This seems clearly
spelled out in the fiscal-sponsorship agreement Racket executed (which was
shared with this list last year) — that Racket is "subject at all times to the
direction and control of Conservancy’s Board of Directors". [2]

> I do not wish to see this mailing list turn into another political echo
> chamber, because then I have to remove myself from it and the public Racket
> community. If people wish to discuss the politics of diversity in the Racket
> community, please create a Facebook group and go there.

Stepping gingerly here, it does seem that Bradley Kuhn and Conservancy intend
that some notion of "diversity" becomes an explicit part of Racket's outward
policy orientation (and not, say, relegated to a private Facebook group). He
said so at RacketCon. [1]

For this reason Matthias, I'm not clear whether you're speaking for yourself in
this case (as you sometimes do) or for Racket management (as you sometimes do).
Are you saying that on a personal level, it's not your favorite aspect of the
Conservancy relationship? Or are you saying that Racket, as a Conservancy
project, is repudiating part of Conservancy's policy platform?

[1] https://youtu.be/xSjk2PdQm5k?t=17682
[2] https://sfconservancy.org/projects/apply/ConservancyFSATemplate.pdf
<https://sfconservancy.org/projects/apply/ConservancyFSATemplate.pdf>