On Monday, July 22, 2019 at 6:17:47 PM UTC-4, Zelphir Kaltstahl wrote:

> I just want to give one thought as input to this discussion and will
> admit, that I did not read every (but some) of the posts above.
>
> When I write code in Racket or Scheme, I mostly like the parentheses, as
> they make writing the code easy. I can very easily select a block and move
> it around, without introducing any syntax errors. I can also quickly see
> what the scope of something is, what other expression it is in. I don't get
> these things from languages without this many parentheses or without
> s-expression syntax. I need my parentheses as markers for my cursor to
> quickly jump around. It is the most pleasant code typing experience I've
> ever had. So when considering to move away from parentheses, please also
> consider the burden that those parentheses take away from the person
> writing the code. When I edit for example Python code, things are not clear
> when moving around code. This is worse in Python than in other languages,
> which at least have curly braces (but usually some other annoying
> deficiencies). If there was a move away from this many parentheses (read
> markers for my cursor), it would have to provide equal editability, for it
> to be attractive to me. A design based on indentation or something like
> that is not going to cut it for me. And what else would be used as start
> and end markers for expressions? Wouldn't that in essence just be another
> form of "parentheses", just looking different? How would any editor know,
> where an expression starts and ends for easy selection and moving around,
> if there were no such markers? So far I got no idea how that could be done
> without introducing loads of new constraints about how you can nest
> expressions into the language. So it beats me. Maybe my imagination in this
> area is still somewhat limited.
>
> Just my 2c.

 Zelphir:

Since you mentioned you haven't read all the posts (and who could blame
you, there's a lot!), I wanted to mention that the core team has stated you
will continue to be able to program in #lang racket with s-expressions, and
it will continue to be "well supported."

If Racket, with it's Scheme heritage, can't continue to support a
Scheme-like programming experience, what that would say about language
oriented programming?

As Matthew said, "Don't Panic" :)

Thanks,
Brian