I thought one of the most compelling parts of Matthew's proposal was at around
37:41 in the video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnz6y5U0tFs&start=2261>,
when he said,

I've seen students in my class genuinely struggle with just the syntax.

I think it would be very useful to hear more (from Matthew or others) about
the struggles people have with s-expressions, both to understand the
motivations for a potential new surface syntax and to evaluate concrete
design ideas.

As I've been reflecting over the last week, I realized that I have a fairly
deep knowledge of my own experiences learning new languages (or at least I
like to think I do …), and I know something about the experiences of
friends and colleagues, but my knowledge pretty quickly drops off after
that. Presumably, people who teach CS get to observe much larger samples.
Those in industry with experience on-boarding new employees might likewise
have useful perspectives.

If a major goal for Racket 2, and the potential syntax change in
particular, is to reduce obstacles, I think it would help to understand
what the obstacles are, for various groups of people.

(For example, I would speculate that people who have experience programming
with Algol-like syntax may stumble at different points than new
programmers, and those comfortable with notation from math class may have
different expectations than those who are not—but that is just speculation.
In any case, such answers wouldn't dictate a particular decision, but they
could provide context to inform the decision-making process.)

-Philip