On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 02:09:22PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 15, 2020 at 10:48:48AM -0700, Eric Griffis wrote:
> > On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 10:25 PM Hendrik Boom <hend...@topoi.pooq.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > By the way, I'm working on updating the opengl package to the current
> > > OpenGL 4.6 spec.  Because a change of format in Khronos's
> > > specfiles, it appears to require a complete rewrite to its
> > > specification translator.
> >
> > This is good news! Through March, I'll be announcing several graphics
> > packages that could benefit from this directly. Let's try to keep a
> > conversation going.
>
> I'm the guy behind Rackettown, https://github.com/hendrikboom3/rackettown
> It's an experiment about attribute management in procedurally-generated
> content, although it looks like a fairly simple building-drawing
> program.
>
> I wanted to move to doing it in 3D, and it too a little while to realise
> I needed to use openGl directly, rather than something like Pict3D.
>
> I had some difficulty figuring out the arious tutorials, so I went to
> the current red book (covering opengl 4.6) and discovered that the baby
> steps used functions that weren't in the Racket binding (though they are
> present in the openGL on my Linux system.
>
> So ... I'm redoing the binding, after a fruitless attempt tp find
> up-to-date versions of the old specfiles.
>
> I'm hoping to test the new interface generator by comparing its output
> with the one in the present Racket package.  That will always be a bit
> awkward, because all the definitions are now in a new order, so a simple
> diff won't do.  Not to mention checking out the errors that Stephan
> discovered in the old specfiles.

For the time being I'll be calling my version opengl46.  Because I'll be
comparing output with the old opengl, I have to have both versions
around for a while without getting mixed up.

There seems also to be a typed opengl module within pict3d.  It's not
clear to me how that one is related to the untyped opengl.

-- hendrik