Hi Philip,

as far as I understand you, the aim is to get a minimalistic Radiance rendering node. For that, I would propose to exclude all the X11, tcl-tk and tiff stuff. You will probably not work interactively on the node but get the results transferred to a local work-station, where you could do all file conversion and display work. You may also remove all the example files from the lib directory. The question is how to best implement all this in a makefile, so that you do not get all the errors. I have to admit that the many build systems around in Radiance are confusing... Maybe editing the rmakefiles, and setting up a new target such as "minimal-install" would be a good start.

Cheers, Lars.

Hello,

should I be concerned about the fact that installing libX11 and libX11-devel seems to have been sufficient in order to eliminate the X11-related compilation errors?

I expected to also have to  change the -L option to point to /usr/lib64 in the following

set mach="-Dlinux -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -L/usr/X11R6/lib -I/usr/include/X11 -DNOSTEREO"

That's becauseI don't have a/usr/X11R6/lib directory (but I have some X11 files in /usr/lib64 instead, due to having installedlibX11). I didn't expect to have to edit the -I option because I do have a /usr/include/X11 directory, due to having installed libX11-devel.

Thoughts?

Also, our application uses Radiance in headless mode (no UI).
Am I right in thinking that whilst installing X11 is necessary in order to get a clean build, many of the resulting binaries can be run without X11.

E.g. am I right in thinking that I can run oconv and rtrace without X11?

Is there some resource that can be used to determine which Radiance binaries rely on X11 and which don't?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Philip Schwarz