Daniel Sheppard wrote:
> I want radiant to have a more robust caching mechanism than the current
> 'expire every x minutes' method of doing things - I'd like it to be able
> to handle just removing things from the cache when things actually
> change. I've roughed out a plan on how I think this should be done in a
> safe manner.
>
> It sounds like it should work, but this is mainly just what I thought of
> on the way to work this morning - I'd like people to poke holes in it
> and figure out any edge-cases I'm missing out on - if this process EVER
> misses out on the clearing of a cached page, it's pretty much useless.
>
> I see a bit off overhead being added to the rendering process (since
> after_initialize hooks are a performance no-no), but since this should
> reduce the need for rendering by a huge amount, I'm hoping it'll balance
> out.
>
> I will probably put off an implementation of this until after I finish
> off my asset extension and get other things running, but I might pull
> this forward for asset caching as well... not sure yet.

I not opposed to what you've written above, but wonder if there might be
a simpler way that what you have proposed.

I'm wondering if deleting the whole cache every time a change is made
might work better. Currently, the cache is cleared when a snippet or
layout is edited. This seems to be a bit time consuming as the cache is
stored on disk, but justifiable in the case of snippets and layouts. To
speed it up I'm wondering if we could get better performance just
storing the rendered content in the db. Delete queries tend to be fast
and Radiant is already serving the content in the first place (so there
is no performance gain because the Web server can serve the page and
Radiant doesn't have to).

Whatever course we took we'd need to see the numbers, but I favor a
simpler approach if performance is comparable.

--
John Long
http://wiseheartdesign.com