Hopefully Shards will become part of the core very soon and this won't
be a problem anymore. Sadly, even the wiki doesn't talk about what to
do http://wiki.radiantcms.org/Using_the_Shards_Extension

(I'll update it after sending this though)

You need to edit your config/environment.rb as follows:

Radiant::Initializer.run do |config|
        config.extensions = [ :shards, :all ]
end