Thanks for the write-up. I've been using Shared Layouts but I learned a few things I didn't know from this.

I do have two questions from what you've said, though

Sean Cribbs wrote:
Second, if you want your controllers to have more context within the rest of the site's static content, you can create what I like to call "application endpoints". Essentially, create a page within the page tree that is of type 'Application' (classname RailsPage) at a URL that matches your controller's route(s). Then when you hit your controller action, anything that is not directly specified by your view or controller, including title, breadcrumbs, page parts, etc will be derived from the existing page. This allows you to keep context within generated navigation or provide static text within your view that is editable from the Radiant UI.

I thought when you built an "endpoint" all its parts were removed and only your controller's views were used, instead. How can I edit the static text in my view via the Radiant UI? That would be awesome.

Another neat trick you can do with share_layouts is to generate Radius code from your controller's views. Since essentially anything generated by the Rails view gets inserted into page parts and then rendered as if it were a page, you can put anything you want in there that is valid Radius code. Additionally, if you create an "endpoint" in the tree and specify some filters on parts that will be overridden, your view can be filtered with those filters.

So, in your example above, you created a "sidebar" and a "body" part within your rails views. And I wanted to write the sidebar using Textile and the body using Markdown, I would create an Endpoint Page via the Radiant UI corresponding to my controller and in it create two Page Parts - "sidebar" and "body" and assign each part the correct filter.

Is this correct?

-Chris