In your example, Sean, you create a StatsController that inherits from ApplicationController (which is the default if you use Radiant's controller generators). Anyway I've been getting all kinds of errors with my specs and banging my head against a wall only to *finally* realize that ApplicationController includes the LoginSystem. (I'm always logged in so I never noticed).

I'd like to save others the bloody foreheads since most using the Shared Layouts extension will be designing public-facing controllers. Thoughts?

For others, I fixed this by simply adding:
 no_login_required

to my controller.

In fact, other than maybe rescue_action_in_public, is there any real benefit to inheriting from ApplicationController vs. good ol' ActionController::Base for a Shared Layouts Controller?

-Chris

Sean Cribbs wrote:
I got one started with a lot more detail than the email message. I'll try to finish the rest tonight:

http://wiki.radiantcms.org/Creating_an_extension_VI