I just went with Translator and really liked it. I had built several pages with Language Redirect, which was one of the first Radiant behaviours.

I think that the page part solution is the best, both for building the site and maintaining it. It also makes switching the language, but keeping the same content trivial. Two page trees is a bit hard to maintain, but is of course the most robust system.

But I agree, once again, not a one size fits all situation.

Keith