Chime!

Roles in Radiant are lacking for various reasons:

1) Radiant was designed for small teams, which need few roles.
2) ACL/Authorization is WAY too complicated in most CMS software.
3) We haven't until recently found the need to have roles other than
Admin and Developer.

Matt Freels' Page Group Permissions is good in that it fills a lot of
those needs without being too complicated.  We're actually using it on
my latest Radiant project.  Matt also had a branch of Radiant (from
the original GitHub repo) that included factoring roles out into a
separate model.  I think something like that would be a great addition
to the core, if carefully and unobtrusively designed.  Of course, the
best place to test that functionality would be in an extension, see if
it gains traction, and then integrate it into the core if it is in
high demand (like shards was).

Sean