Joe E. wrote:
Bubble busted, but pain was minimal. :)

I'm new to rails but when proper ruby/rails skills are acquired, I
shall consider your suggestion.

If you choose to go that route, I've just stumbled on something that you might (or not) find useful: Mack framework. Its yet another Ruby web framework with perhaps a bit different goals then those of Rails. From the site (www.mackframework.com):

 "Mack is a Ruby web application framework that is being built from the
  ground up to aid in the development of distributed, portal-like
  applications that have a need for speed. Mack supports best of breed
  technologies in a modular way."