On Oct 5, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Marty Haught wrote:

I've been wondering how best to maintain stable and unstable branches
of an extension in Git.  Traditionally you'd keep the master as
'trunk' which would be considered unstable and you'd tag official
releases.  We could use this approach but I'm wondering how best this
works with the new radiant extension install script.  Would it be
better to get master as the current official release and make a
branch, say edge, that is the development portion?

I don't know what method will work well for you, and really that's the important part.

However, the way the git repository for git (git.git) works is that it has three main branches:

- maint: This contains only bugfixes to the previous (tagged) release.

- master: Fairly well tested features.

- next: Any new changes that are ready for wide-spread testing. Usually stable, but occasionally breaks.

The way development is merged into these branches in git.git is somewhat intricate, but an interesting lesson on how development can be done in git. (It is partially described in the regular "A note from the maintainer" messages on the git mailing list. [1]) Git has these many layers of branches because of the fairly large volume of developers and testers on its list.

I would personally recommend that any published repository have at least two branches, a stable and unstable, in addition to the tagged releases. It's always good to be able to publish quick bug fixes separate from new development. Whether master is your unstable and you keep a maint for fixes, or master is stable and you keep a next (or edge) for development is up to you.

(For that matter, there is nothing special about the master branch in git... You could have "stable" and "unstable" and no "master". Which one would be downloaded by default by your users is based on the HEAD link in the repository.)

~~ Brian

[1] http://lists-archives.org/git/665040-a-note-from-the-maintainer.html