Sean Cribbs said the following on 12/03/2008 09:46 AM:
> I've applied Yevgeny's indexes (without the uniqueness constraints -
> YAGNI) and here's some circumstantial (i.e. not rigorous) results from
> running the spec suite:

> **** BEFORE ****
> -------
> real 137.84
> user 58.80
> sys 9.15
>
> **** AFTER ****         [speedup]

> -------
> real 87.59
> user 60.00
> sys 8.78
>
> [...] -- note that the user and
> sys didn't change much.  Thanks, Yevgeny!

I've applied the indexes to a number of hosted sites and the user
response is that they "feel a lot more snappier".

I suspect some of the extensions would benefit from indexes on the
fields they add, but that's another and more specialized matter.

I also suspect that matters such as the database type used (Sqlite,
MySQL, ...), the type of table (MyISAM, InnoDB ... see
http://www.unixcities.com/mysql/manual_table_types.html) will also
affect the efficacy of indexes.

As with so many things in the modern world, there are going to be a lot
of "ifs and but" and and as I keep saying ...

        Context is Everything

But yes, these are, in retrospect, so "obvious".
Can we merge them into the core?

--
Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."