Saša Babić wrote:
Mohit Sindhwani wrote:
Saša Babić wrote:
Thus, I propose that we put in config/environtment.rb something like:

RADIANT_GEM_VERSION = '0.7.1' unless defined? RADIANT_GEM_VERSION

I thought be default if nothing is specified, it would use the most recent install of Radiant?

Yes, and I think that can be a problem in some cases.

Unless for some reason you want to force it to '0.7. 1' if the gem
version is not specified.

Let's say you have a couple of production installations of Radiant 0.6.9. You hear a new shiny Radiant is out, and you want to try it out. You upgrade your gem, and suddenly your production installations are broken. This is exactly what happened to me.

This happened to me. I added RADIANT_GEM_VERSION in config/environment.rb when it stopped working!

In fact, it doesn't have to be you, your hosting provider could have upgraded the gem without notifying you. I admit, it is easily solved by specifying the RADIANT_GEM_VERSION in config/environment.rb, but you have to know that in advance. Clearly, in this case it would help if your Radiant was locked to the right gem version.

I believe there is no compelling reason for the other way around. If you want to try a new version of Radiant, you could always comment out the above line. And nothing breaks.

You're right. Admittedly, I feel that it's best to freeze Radiant into any production application. That way, *I* decide when to change gems.

2/19/2009 | 10:27 PM.