We have been using google apps for smtp email for almost a year now in
development/test/production environment.  Never gives us a problem unless
gmail is down.

Attached is the smtp tls extenstion which is required to send with google
apps.  Below is our smtp_config.rb with the sensitive setting changed.  I
place both in <our_app>/config/initializers/ directory.

ActionMailer::Base.delivery_method = :smtp
ActionMailer::Base.smtp_settings = {
   :address => "smtp.gmail.com",
   :port => 587,
   :domain => "some_domain.com",