Designers I've worked with seem to build UI in Radiant pretty easily,
once they see the Layout -> Snippet -> Page workflow.  If you're
talking about being to manipulate the layouts, etc. without using the
Radiant interface, you can use ItsAllText extension for Firefox:
http://bit.ly/sFev to edit with the text editor of your choosing or
the Radiant File System extension for saving pages/layouts/snippets to
the file system to be checked into version control, editing, then
importing later:
http://github.com/nelstrom/radiant-file-system-extension.