Hi Folks,

Thanks so very much to everyone who responded; this has been fantastically
helpful!

It sure looks like we have a number of options including creating two more
layouts (although we would like to not have essentially the same layout 3
times; there is probably a way to DRY up the layouts).  We could also use
the r:if_url and r:unless_url to control the display of elements.  It would
more tightly bind the layout to the site structure, but the layout *is* the
site, so we're good on that.  :-)

The r:if_content tags would allow us to use a simpler naming convention,
like "right_gutter" and all the elements that need to appear in the
right_gutter are placed there.

And many thanks to Anton for sharing the techniques he find helpful.

I've shared this information with my colleagues and we are delighted to
learn that we had over thought the solution.  I am so glad I reached out to
the Radiant community!

All the best,

Peter