> i'm at loss now for why it's not appearing in the drop down when
> loaded as a gem. no errors or anything unusual just a missing filter.

I'm actually at a loss as to why it would appear when vendored if
you're not explicitly loading that subclass. Radiant doesn't do any
pre-loading of filter subclasses in the way that it automatically
seeks out and loads Page subclasses. If you look at the textile and
markdown extensions that ship within core, you'll see that both of
them explicitly load the filter subclass within their #activate
methods. It'll be safer to follow their example.