You can only use it since Radiant 0.9 (I've been using I18n with success on
Radiant 0.9 RC2). The German version comes bundled with Radiant. Under
'Settings' tab -> 'Personal' tab, there is 'language' drop-down.  You should
find 'Deutsch' there.

If you're not happy with the bundled version, install the
german-language-pack extension (like any other extension) and start
modifying the .yml files.

Cristi