FWIW,

I've definitely verified that the "position" column on the Page model is being respected in the admin. page display. When a parent page's children are requested using Page#children, the position value is also respected (it appears that if two pages have the same position value, then the primary key order prevails). I can move pages around in the list "at will" by manipulating the "position" value directly.

Sometimes, for whatever reason, the "position" columns of a set of pages at the same level are not being updated correctly. I haven't been able to figure out if it has to do with the "direction" in which the items are being moved or not.

I see drag/drop failing occasionally with an error of the type:

  SELECT * FROM "pages" WHERE (slug LIKE ''internal-political-issue'%%') AND
("pages"."parent_id" = 1)

which is again some silly syntax issue where there are too many quotes in the WHERE clause.

I suspect maybe two things are going on:

1) Whatever causes the SQL syntax error

2) When an error occurs, a proper "rollback" of the original order may not be done (which is how you might end up with duplicated position values)

Wes