My approach has been to place all css files in /css (and all
javascript in /js). I assume this folder will not be over-written by
future updates. These non-standard folders probably violate the
principle of convention over configuration, but the fact that the
folders are outside of /stylesheets and /javascripts -- and therefore
will not be messed with (I hope!) in future upgrades -- makes me more
comfortable.