Ross,

That's a fine way to learn something. Doing is a better teacher than
anything else.
But i'd just make 2 projects to test out the different extensions. If
they do the same thing and use the same or similar tables then you're
asking for trouble.
It would be like using page_attachments and paperclipped together,
which both use the page_attachments table: you're bound to find
problems with both of them turned on.
And you would never do this in a real site, so it would be better to
compare 2 different projects locally and decide.

If you want to use 1 project, you can turn them on or off by setting
"config.extensions -= [:tags]" (or taggable) to turn one off at a time
(in config/environment.rb)
Or just move one out of the vendor/extensions directory and restart,
then move it back and move the other out.

Radiant (or any rails project) will run fine if there are extra and
unused tables in the database. So if one uses tags and the other uses
meta_tags, the presence of one table should not affect the other when
you disable either extension.

I hope that helps.

http://www.saturnflyer.com