On 20 Jun 2011, at 16:34, Jim Gay wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 10:17 AM, rosslaird <r...@rosslaird.com> wrote:
>> I am consistently impressed with how helpful and friendly people are
>> to another on this list. It's good to see. And I wonder about the role
>> that geek practices such as the agile methodology play in this kind of
>> friendly behavior. I've been reading more about agile and related
>> practices (I am a writer, not a programmer), and I have been surprised
>> at the emphasis, in those practices, on ethics such as collaboration,
>> authenticity, appropriate conflict resolution, and so on. In Lyssa
>> Adkins' book  "Coaching Agile Teams," she emphasizes values such as
>> courage, focus, respect, and openness. As someone with a professional
>> background in counselling, I can't help but notice how much overlap
>> there is between agile values and counselling values. It's very
>> heartening to see such deep, resonant, ancient human values at work in
>> contemporary practices such as software development. And the Radiant
>> community, more than any other software development community that
>> I've encountered, embodies those values in the communications on this
>> forum. Thanks for walking your talk.
>>
>> Now, to my question: I'm looking for an ecommerce solution, to
>> integrate with Radiant, that will allow me to sell my books (three of
>> them) and my consulting services on my website (I'm running Radiant
>> 0.9.1). Is something like Shopify a good option, or is there a simpler
>> (or better) solution for someone like me?
>>
>> Thanks in advance.
>>
>> Ross Laird
>>

> I'm so glad to hear that feedback, Ross.

Me too. Very cheering. Thank you.

I have one site that runs shopify and radiant together. It's behind an nginx
proxy that uses SSI (so retro!) to incorporate bits of radiant content into the
shopify pages. It works but it's a lot of hassle to create and look after, and
the benefits are only there because that particular business wants to look more
seamless and corporate than it really is.

If the seller is an individual then I find people are prepared to take more
trouble and to accept a more personal payment route. Especially the maker of
the product, which I suppose you are. Paul's paypal-with-confirmation extension
sounds like a good way to go.

In the happy world of Rails 3 I think one of the project goals is to sit
happily as an engine next to a Spree shop, but I wouldn't like to guess at a
timetable for that.

best,

will