Compass and sass (and scss) are supported but I've found that if you want to
use a version of compass/sass that's higher than the vendored versions it
gets a little tricky.  If you're ok with built-in support with compass
0.10.6 and haml (I think?) then you're already clear.

I've gotten into the habit of structuring my Radiant sites in the following
manner:

./project-name/
./project-name/templates/
./project-name/htdocs/

./project-name contains a Gemfile which specifies everything I need,
 radiant, serve, compass, sass, compass plugins, etc.
./project-name/templates/ holds the UI prototype of the website built on top
of Serve (https://github.com/jlong/serve) (with compass, etc)
./project-name/htdocs/ is the radiant side of things.

When I do it this way I pull the UI gem dependencies into a higher level dir
that sits outside the scope of radiant.  That way I can plop a
compass.config file in ./project-name/htdocs/public/scss and compile it
myself with `bundle exec /project-name/htdocs/public/scss`.   Doing it in
this fashion circumvents the built in sass and compass frameworks in
Radiant.

A bit redundant, yes, but I'm really quite married to the features that have
come out in compass 0.11.* ... so this works.

And Will, ideally I would go with the class Sass syntax too, but Scss really
allows people new to the concept to dip their toes in.  I consider it a
"gateway drug" for full-on SASS :)

- Joel