Technically it lies about it's dependencies as if it's working with
Rails 3 which does have mail gem as a dependency.  Anyway the
problematic line is
https://github.com/radiant/radiant-mailer-extension/blob/master/app/controllers/mail_controller.rb#L11
which passes in a few options that aren't required anymore,  the
current method for mail gem is to flatten and turn them into mail
fields.  I've never  really worked with the older mail gem but it
looks the way you are doing it is passing configs, fields and a
mailer.  This is no longer the preferred method.

Firing up my trusty Pry console: (cheatery inc, it's also cut)
[2] pry(main)> show-doc Mail.new