When I first found Radiant five years ago, Rails had barely arrived at
version 2.3. The plugin system of Radiant was plain awesome, as it allowed
me to customize both UI and models, having migrations and whatnot. Rails
could not do that back then. Radiant was great, I used it very successfully
for a number of client projects.

*[btw, there's a nice interview with
Sean<http://www.railsinside.com/interviews/86-radiant-cms-interview-with-sean-cribbs.html>detailling
 the history of Radiant]
*

Times have changed though. Radiant features a number of ingenious but
bizarre hacks (extension UIs, I'm looking at you, also the tag system) that
make it both hard to understand for novices and hard to maintain at the
same time. The whole plugin ecosystem relies on mechanisms that should have
been Rails engines today – but these simply did not exist when the plugin
system was implemented. Now we have hundreds of extensions, some of them so
wildly outdated that it's actually a miracle how they still work. But
drastically changing how plugins should be implemented would almost break
them all. So what?

To me it seems as if projects like the comfortable mexican
sofa<https://github.com/comfy/comfortable-mexican-sofa>adopted really great
concepts of Radiant, like the idea of
layouts/pages/snippets, while staying compatible with standard Rails at the
same time. I'm not sure if Radiant will be able to make the transition to a
modern Rails application, without major rewrites and loosing compatibility
to all its previous versions. I'm not even sure if it'd be worth the
effort: I loved Radiant for allowing me to quickly build a site without too
much hassle. The sites I built that way could be rewritten just as easily
using something else today.

Truth be told, I'm keeping my Radiant sites up as long as I can but I do
not plan to create new sites using Radiant as it is today. The same applies
to my extensions: They served a very specific purpose at the time I wrote
them. No need to update them while there's almost no possibility that I
might reuse them for something new.

Just my $.02 Regards,

Christian