Is there a plugin that I can use to restrict access to view pages, only if
your in a certain group? I have tried Reader and I haven't been able to get
it cleanly install. RBAC seems like a maybe but again, doesn't seem like a
good fit.

I would like to make a section that is public facing and a section that
requires "membership". It's seems like this should be stupidly common, but
I can't seem to find a working extension. That said, it also seems like
Radiant is about 3 years (or more) behind everything else. I don't have a
problem with that, I'm just hoping I didn't fall in love with a dead
project that no one supports.