On Wed, 17 Feb 1999, Andrew wrote:

> Wed Feb 17 16:09:23 1999: ERR: do failed for 'UPDATE CallsOnline SET
> acctinputoctets = , acctoutputoctets = , acctsessiontime = ,
> acctterminatecause = 0 WHERE acctsessionid = '284842146' AND nasidentifier
> = '209.16.18.34'': ORA-00936: missing expression (DBD: error possibly near
> <*> indicator at char 42 in 'UPDATE CallsOnline SET acctinputoctets = <*>,
> acctoutputoctets = , acctsessiontime = , acctterminatecause = 0 WHERE
> acctsessionid = '284842146' AND nasidentifier = '209.16.18.34'')

[snip]

>       AcctSQLStatement  UPDATE CallsOnline SET acctinputoctets = \
>          %{Acct-Input-Octets}, acctoutputoctets = %{Acct-Output-Octets}, \
>          acctsessiontime = %{Acct-Session-Time}, acctterminatecause = \
>          0 WHERE acctsessionid = '%{Acct-Session-Id}' \
>          AND nasidentifier = '%{NAS-Identifier}'
>
> First of all, does anyone know why some accounting packets are lacking
> these variables?  My rather uneducated guess is that it's someone who

No, I don't know, but...

> Failing an explanation for the missing variables, does anyone have any
> suggestions on how to deal with these errors appropriately?  The result of
> the error is that we end up with a start record in our CallsOnline table,
> but no stop record, so for all intents and purposes, this user is
> indefinitely logged on.
>
> Any explanations and/or ideas are greatly appreciated!

Try this:

   AcctSQLStatement  UPDATE CallsOnline SET acctinputoctets = \
     '%{Acct-Input-Octets}', acctoutputoctets = '%{Acct-Output-Octets}',\
     acctsessiontime = '%{Acct-Session-Time}', acctterminatecause = \
     0 WHERE acctsessionid = '%{Acct-Session-Id}' \
     AND nasidentifier = '%{NAS-Identifier}'

All I did was quote everything. SQL doesn't care if you quote numbers.
Then you just need to deal with how your SQL server will deal with = ''.

Steve

---
Steve Roderick                                  ProAxis Communications, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                               Internet Access Provider
                                                (541) 757-0248