From: Elliot Finley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Mike McCauley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tuesday, March 02, 1999 2:10 AM
Subject: Re: (RADIATOR) Q: detail buffering

On Mon, 1 Mar 1999 09:41:10 +1100, you wrote:

>HI Elliot,
>Radiator does not flock log files. It always opens, writes and closes for
>every entry, so you can safely rotate any time you like.

So if I had an exclusive flock on the detail file, what would radiator
do when it tried to open the file?  Would it crash?  Wait?

>It might be helpful to use the special characters in the AcctLogFileName to
>write to a different file each month (or day or whatever) so you wont have
>to even rotate them.

Actually, this is what I do right now.  The reason for going back to
using a single file name is because I want to put a perl script using
File::Tail on the file so that I can keep an up-to-date list of
username-ip pairs available at all times.  I'm going to be writing
some CGI scripts that depend on them.

Is this something that radiator can already do with an SQL database?

--
Elliot ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95, NT, or better,' so I installed FreeBSD."