On 6/2/99 at 11:51 AM ryanm wrote:

>Hello everyone,
>
>I am curious what size my daily logfiles will be with 10000+ logins
>a day. I am doing some capicity planning and want to add a couple
>disks to store logging info on. I would appreciate any average
>sizes you have. I have looked at the entries in the detail log
>and 1 login/logout is roughyl 800 bytes. I multiplies this out
>by 10000 and got 8,000,000 so I am assuming roughly 10 Megs a day??
>I plan on archiving these for up to a year for various reasons so
>was hoping to get 2 20 gig Disks to do this. I also plan on using
>some form of compression scheme.

Ryan,

If they grow that big, I'd advice you to go to database logging. Currently we log
temporarily to a MySQL and we have a deamon continously emptying that DB and feeding
everything into a data warehouse (Sybase based). This lets us keep stats for more than
a year (we make 1 table per month, something like 7 or 800 megs/month), have always
handy summaries tables at hand (updated by the deamon), only keep data we want (there
are some irrelevant data in a radius accounting packet dump), get rid of the STARTs
and ALIVEs (make session reconstruction), ... Also, this deamon lets us make some
nifty things such as for exemple send an email to all customers of a given POP several
seconds after they connect (when it cleans the START), send our newsletter, and so on.

File-based logging will never give you the scalability you'd like to have. Big files
tend to make systems slow, are unmanageable, difficult to search, difficult to backup
(ever tried to backup a growing file? Works far better with a DB :))... Speaking of a
database, there's almost no size limit. You just have to throw disks at it and don't
have to worry about filesystem problems (if you go for any serious DB engine, I
definitely prefer to let them format the FS and use the raw device, far faster).

Just my two cents.

Stephan
** Stephan Forseilles - Operations Director
** Belgacom Skynet SA/NV
** Email [EMAIL PROTECTED]
** Tel: +32 2 706 13 11 Fax: +32 2 726 93 11